Sunday, March 1, 2009

Reflections from a Baby Shower

I attended a baby shower yesterday for a dear friend and like most showers, a lot of women were there! Many ladies were related to the new mother, others of us were simply friends who felt like we were related. Some of the young mothers in attendance brought their children to share in this celebration for their new cousin or friend. Grandmother, mom, daughter, sister, aunt, niece, sister-in-law, daughter-in-law...each woman there carried at least one of those titles. Some carried most of them! We all got to hold the new baby and enjoy the antics & interactions of the little kids. Most importantly, we were privileged to share a very special time in the life of our very special new mom.

Reflecting on the afternoon it struck me. In that group of women we represented four generations, from a young pre-teen to the sweet great-grandmother of many of the little ones. It was a time of sharing life. We talked, we laughed, we joked, we reminisced. Listening to the many different conversations going on around me I was reminded of just how much we do share life when we women get together. It is in these times where relationships grow stronger, encouragement and advice is given, and we remember that we are not alone on this journey. In our crazy hectic world, we need those times. It may be a baby shower, a girls' night out, your Sunday School class or other small group Bible study, or simply meeting a friend (or friends) at Starbuck's. Whatever it is, I pray that you and I will always make time in our schedule for 'sister time'!

What is your favorite 'sister' or 'girl' time? I'd love to hear about it! Just click on #comments below and share your thoughts.

Hugs,
Molly

1 comment:

  1. I not only cherish the few times a year that I get to spend time with my biological sister, Marsha (my best friend in the world) who lives in Atlanta, but also with my Christian sisters.
    Whether it be in Sunday School, Bible Studies, or Women's Ministry at HBC, these times make me reflect on just how good God truly is. It makes me sad for women who don't have such girlfriend times. We definately all need them. I thank God for my girlfriends!! Cool Blog, Molly!! Love ya, GF!!!!!! Gailmo McKinney

    ReplyDelete