Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Hope for the Future...

Jeremiah 29:11 - "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

I have been contemplating this verse for about a month now. It is God's promise to His people and in the good times it is very easy to claim this verse, however, in the tough times sometimes it is hard to really live the promise.

Today I was notified that a business associate lost their job. It rattled me to the core as I thought what I would do if I had moved my family to a new state, bought an expensive house, then with less than six months into the job be let go. I offered prayers for my friend and told him that it will work out, but in my mind I wondered how his family will make it in this economy and job market.

Tonight I received an adoption update on a special needs child. A little girl with limb differences thousands of miles away in an orphanage. All I wanted to do was reach through the computer screen and bring her to my home to love and raise. How sad to see this child, my son's age, without a loving family to raise her.

However, God does not want us to live in a state of discouragement or sadness. His Word promises hope and a future.

I am sure that you know someone in your life who is hurting, who has lost a job, who does not have the love of a parent or a child in their life. This is God's gift that we may show His hope and love to those in need. Today you may give the gift of hope, on another day you may be recipient of this gift.

Whose life will you impact this week with the gift of hope, the gift of prayer, the gift of Christ's love?

No comments:

Post a Comment